Friday, June 30, 2006
APN-Leagues the UK's only amateur league system for 9-ball pool has launched the BilliardsBoutique.com National Amateur Rankings.
The amateur rankings are an extension of the current league system and allow players to see how they are performing nationally or regionally.
Until the National Championships in November the Amateur rankings will be backed by www.BilliardsBoutique.com. As part of the deal Billiards Boutique will be offering FREE league entry to the number one ranked player as of 31st July 2006. All of their league entry fees and match fees will be paid by Billiards Boutique until the next league cut-off date*.
Billiards Boutique is a brand new pool and snooker retail site which has been launched off the back of the success of the physical store in Weymouth.
How are the National Rankings calculated
The Ranking List
* The number one ranked player as of July 31st 2006 will get all entry fees paid by Billiards Boutique until January 31st 2006. This should equate to at least 3 league "seasons".
If require further information please contact us
Thursday, June 29, 2006
With the introduction of this event and with hard work from World Snooker to gain additional sponsors the Main Tour prize fund this year has grown by £400,000 to £3.26 million.
World Snooker Tour 2006/07:
Northern Ireland Trophy
Waterfront Hall, Belfast
August 13-20, 2006 (Ranking Event)
Pot Black Cup
Venue To Be Confirmed
September 2, 2006 (Invitational)
Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre
October 21-29, 2006 (Ranking event)
Barbican Centre, York
December 4-17, 2006 (Ranking event)
Venue to be confirmed
January 14-21, 2007 (Invitational)
Hilton Conference Centre, Portomaso, Malta
January 29 - February 4, 2007 (Ranking event)
Venue to be confirmed
February 11-18, 2007 (Ranking event)
Student Gymnasium, Beijing, China
March 25 - April 1, 2007 (Ranking event)
888.com World Snooker Championship
Crucible Theatre, Sheffield
April 21 - May 7, 2007 (Ranking event)
Competing for the title of world champions and the $60,000 first prize will be 32 teams consisting of 2 of the top 9-ball players from their country.
The event is played in a scotch doubles, sudden death format with no second chances. England is the only country to have two teams. In the England teams are stars from the world of pool and snooker. The England A side consists of former world snooker champion Ronnie O'Sullivan and 2005 World Pool Maters Champion, Raj Hundal. In the second team are Daryl Peach and Steve Davis.
The teams to look out for will be the Americans of Morris and Strickland, Bustamante and Reyes of the Phillipines plus the Germans and the Taipei contingent.
The event will be broadcast on Sky Sports later in the year as 31 x 1 hour programmes.
Tickets for the event are FREE and also limited so get your requests in now.
Further details can be found at www.worldcupofpool.com
Monday, June 26, 2006
Sunday, June 25, 2006
We obviously had to keep it fair and show no bias to either of the tips on test.
Only brand new cue tips were used in the test and this was the criteria used for the test.
- Amount of Spin
- Value for Money
1. The Blue Diamond tip is medium hardness and uses specially selected leather that is pressed to form the tip. This leather is then infused with chalk to help the leather grip fresh chalk and therefore the cue ball.
2. As this tip is medium hard it gives a reasonable amount of control when playing general shots around the table. The cue tip is designed for a very accurate player and ths is never more so obvious as when playing with a lot of power. Because there is less give control is lessened when playing with power.
3. With this tip the amount of spin generated is often to do with the player playing the shots, because it is a medium hardness, spin shots at slow speeds do not take as well. A bit more pace is needed to create the spin required.
4. Wear is not a massive problem with this cue tip. That is not to say that it won't wear but with quite heavy use it will not wear as quickly as a soft tip which ultimately means better value for money.
5. Out of the two cue tips on test this one offers the better value for money.
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
1. The Elkmaster tip is a soft tip again created from pressed leather and then infused with chalk. The thing that creates the softer tip is using hide form a different animal or from a different part of the animal.
2. The control that you get with this cue tip is unbelievable. The softness of the tip allows you to control the white ball a slow and pacey shots. Because of the softness of the tip the accuracy of the player when cueing does not need to be pinpoint.
3. You can generate a lot of cue ball spin with an elkmaster tip. This is because the softness allows a longer contact with the cue ball as it's shape does not return to normal as quickly. Spin takes on soft shots and when a more powerful stroke is required.
4. As the cue tip is softer it will wear more quickly than the Blue Diamond. This means replacing it more often.
5. Elkmaster tips are still good value for money as they are slightly cheaper than the Blue Diamond but if wear is the major factor then they are more money.
Each tip has it's ow merits and the Billiards Boutique recommendation is as follows. The Blue Diamond tip is longer lasting and because of it's hardness suits a moe accomplished player.
The Elkmaster tip is an excellent cue tip for a beginner as accuracy and power are not such a major factor.
He had reached the winners side final with consumate ease after wins over Harrison, Hew and then Judet. This set up the final match with Goran Mladenovic (SCG) which Imran lost 10-7.
He was then catapulted to the losers side final where he met club mate and snooker pro Tony Drago. Drago had already won 6 straight matches to reach the losers side final and Imran proved one match too many as he won the match and qualifying spot 10-6.
These players are the British contingent for the $2,000,000 prize fund North American Open in July. The tournament will be broadcast live on Eurosport from 22nd to 30th July.
Friday, June 23, 2006
Updates available here:
Tuesday, June 20, 2006
The guranteed £8,000 prize money and straight KO format attracted a field of 67 players to Riley's Stretford.
Amongst the players were many champions of 8-ball including Daryl Peach (Tour founder), Vincent Facquet of France, Rico Diks of Holland and Darren Appleton of Britain.
The buzz amongst the players was that this could be the future of British pro pool. It is the first US 8-ball tour to be promoted in the UK and Daryl Peach and the team from UK Sports Management have done an excellent job so far.
The prize money payouts mean that winning two matches puts you in profit! Unheard of in the UK.
The first event was eventually won by a very in form Mark Gray who defeated Darren Appleton 10-3 in the final. The winner picked up a cool £2000 and Appleton had to settle for £1000.
The next event on the tour is over the weekend of 12th-13th August at Riley's Harrow/Wealdstone.
Monday, June 19, 2006
The event held in Egmond-an-Zee, Holland attracted a very partisan crowd over the three days of play.
The winner not only took home the title but also $20,000 in prize money. With five British based players in the field including defending champion Raj Hundal and snooker star Ronnie O'Sullivan, it looked possible that we could again have a British winner.
It was not to be as Steve Davis and Ronnie O'Sullivan fell in the first round followed by Tony Drago (not British but based here) and Imran Majid in the quarter-finals.
This left the defending champion, also a member on the new IPT Tour, to try and win a spot in his second successive masters final. It was not to be as he succumbed to an in form Alex Pagulayan 8-1.
In the bottom half of the draw Souquet defeated 17 year-old double world champion Chia-Ching Wu 8-4 to book his place in the final.
Souquet went on to lift the trophy by beating Pagulayan 8-4.
Welcome to the brand new Billiards Boutique blog. Here we will post news, instructional articles, events, tournament results and new product launches from the world of pool, snooker and billiards.
Please feel free to post comments, bookmark us inform your friends about us.
(Owner - Billiards Boutique)